In pursuing our corporate goals we place safe manufacturing
processes and consideration for the environment high on the agenda.
All of our plants feature eco-friendly processes and measures to
enhance our environment. These include:
- A policy of returnable beverage bottles.
- Recycling of plastic crates and bottles.
- Recycling wooden pallets and cardboard tier sheets.
- Utilising dried grains left over from brewing as cattle feed.
- Banks (Barbados)
Breweries Ltd. treats and recycles waste water for
use in beautification and factory wash down.
- Our cardboard boxes (gaylords) in which the performs are supplied,
are used for exporting PET flake and finished goods.
- At the Barbados Bottling Company cardboard cores for shrink film are returned to the supplier for re-use.
Inc. and B’s Bottle Depot reuse the sugar bags
to hold PET flake.
Containers Ltd. diverts its chemical drums to Chemical
Industries Limited for donation as garbage bins.
- We use grease traps and containment tanks to capture oil /
diesel spills if they occur.
Distribution Ltd. has reduced its fuel usage by 10%
with the implementation of a revised delivery system.
Hill Dairy has converted from ½ gallon HDPE
juice to 2-Litre cardboard cartons which are biodegradable.
- Slightly damaged crates are offered to fishermen for use to
store their catches.
Recycling Plastics Programme
The shift to a large-scale use of PET bottles in our beverage manufacturing
has brought significant environmental gain in reducing the heavy
water usage associated with glass bottle recycling. On the downside
it has brought the substantial challenge of effective disposal of
the long-life plastics.
- As part of its operations Plastics Containers Ltd., a PET bottle
producing enterprise recycles opaque (HDPE) bottles.
Duraplast Inc. employs environmentally safe processes to daily
transform some 6,000 lbs of PET bottles into durable roofing tiles.
Inc. also regrinds defective tiles, generated in
the manufacturing process, as well as cut tiles, returned from
job sites, and reuses them in the production of new tiles.
- Currently approximately 85% of all PET bottles produced by Barbados
Bottling Company Ltd. are recycled into roofing tiles
by Duraplast Inc.
- Plastic concentrate containers are given away to persons for
- PCL diverts all PET / HDPE scrap to Duraplast Inc. or B’s
Bottle Depot to be converted to flake and then exported or converted
to new product.
- Plastic liner bags that are placed in the closure boxes have
eliminated the need for BBC to purchase garbage bags.